Flood-safe ARCs are modular buildings raised on piles and designed for sympathetic floodplain development.
The ARC stands on a timber deck, which is engineered to require a minimal number of deep piles with supporting stanchions. The space below is used as a carport and bicycle/outdoor equipment store.
The deck is reached by steps or an extended ramp from ground level, and offers a recreational veranda around the building.
These comparatively light-weight flood-resistant buildings also make suitable floating systems where appropriate. They can be erected on a pontoon only 500mm deep, which will allow 250mm clearance above the water line. This makes them ideal for cafes and residential spaces that could float in the event of a flood.
These flood-resistant buildings offer highly energy-efficient, sustainable design, which is prefabricated for quick and cost-effective erection. They are available in a range of configurations and uses:
• 1–4 bedroom residential ARC
• SME modular office building for up to 20 employees
• Public space for educational and exhibition uses
• Retail or cafeteria ARC
Advantages of Flood-Resistant ARCs
Our flood-resistant buildings have the following advantages:
• Pile support system does not disrupt ground permeability or floodwater drainage
• Lightweight building requires minimal pile design, which is cost-effective and minimises disruption to the natural environment
• Low-rise, aesthetically attractive building enables development in sensitive locations
• Attractive and spacious interior guarantees desirability to purchasers and tenants
• Robust design guarantees exceptional building performance and permanence
• Building is demountable, reconfigurable and can be resited, so is suitable as a temporary structure
• Can be pre-fitted with renewable energy systems
• Sustainable and planning-friendly example of good eco design